Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Unrequited Love


I read
John Mayer's blog today and it reminded me that I would like to write much more on my blog (not just post pictures which is the more convenient choice). Mr. Mayer had a wonderful entry from March 27th, that touched my heart in a sense. This made me think about how I would like to write and express much more on my own personal blog... possibly affecting someone in the way that Mr. Mayer's entry affected me. So on that note...

The definition for unrequited love is as follows:

Unrequited love is love that is not reciprocated, even though reciprocation is usually deeply desired. The beloved may not even be aware of this person's deep feelings for them. This can lead to feelings such as depression, low self-esteemanxiety, and rapid mood swings between depression and euphoria. Being such a universal feeling, it has naturally been a frequent subject in popular culture.

Unrequited love has been a term that I have thought about ever since my interest in literature was sparked many years ago. It used to be a romantic notion that made me feel pity for those who were subjected to it. I could only ponder how terrible it would be if I were to be in that particular situation. The older I have grown, the more I doubt the possibility of unrequited love. To me, love is a mutual emotion, or passion if you will, that must first and foremost be shared in order for it to be true. If this is the case, there would be no possibility for unrequited love. So, perhaps there is no such thing. 

Perhaps one person is sure, and the other isn't. This could be true for any number of reasons: they are scared, immature, or just unsure of how to know without a doubt that this is that person for them. Although, this scenario would not be unrequited love. It would actually be requited, just an unknown requited love. Or perhaps, one person, for whatever reason (security, comfort, friendship) convinces themselves that they are in love, and therein convincing the other individual involved that they too are in love, when in reality, neither are in love. Fortunate couples recognize what is true, and honest, and pure, and they know whether this "love" that they share is true, or if it is some sort of facade. Others never realize or they realize much farther down the road, and then they part ways. Again, all this means that unrequited love can't exist. False feelings can lead to false relationships. Just as being afraid can prevent relationships from ever taking flight. It is a terrifying notion really, but one I feel is spot on. Concluding, in reality, unrequited love cannot exist unless we fashion a vision of it. 

What are your thoughts on this?

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I... really don't know what to say to this. I read John's blog too. He posted something beautiful and rambling the other day about lonely girls posting weird MySpace pictures and how we're all searching for acceptance and how he can act like he's above all that but tries on a pile of clothes before going out. This... was sort of relevatory. I think maybe you'd know why. Let's discuss this further sometime soon. love, j (and that kind's requited! heee)