Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day to ALL!!


I am very torn on the topic of "Valentine's Day". While part of me enjoys the idea of people who care about each other showing their immense love for one another, the other part of me gets mad at the marketing geniuses behind today. Today should be a celebration of love and a way of thanking others for the love they have supplied you with and for you to shower those you love with warmth....not just a day to buy things. My kindergarten kids the other day were talking about how boys are supposed to buy things for girls----"whatever they want". While it was cute and funny at the time, the more I thought about it, the more it saddened me. How sad that this boy thought that was what Valentine's Day meant: just a time to buy stuff to make a girl happy. You shouldn't have to spend a lot of money, or have a lot of money spent on you to know that you are truly loved. Everyone is loved by someone. So enjoy what is left of today by being with someone you hold close to your heart: whether that is a best friend, family member, special someone, or even you beloved pet-----and know that love isn't so hard to find after all.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I have LOVED Valentine's Day this year. I have showed love to everyone though not just Nate. I sent my friends and family cards, made people at work bags of candy and ate dinner with my family and watched tv with my girlfriends. Its just been a day full of love and its been wonderful even if Halmark makes a BIG deal out of it!